Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Oxbow High School, Union #30 offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.75; lunch costs $2.85. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price meals are served at no charge to families. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.

 Free-Reduced lunch application 2017-2018

  1. Who can get free OR REDUCED PRICE meals?
    1. All children in households receiving benefits from 3SquaresVT or Reach-Up are eligible for free meals.
    2. Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
    3. Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
    4. Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
    5. Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.



Household Size

Yearly Monthly Twice Per Month Every Two Weeks Weekly
1 22,311 1,860 930 859 430
2 30,044 2,504 1,252 1,156 578
3 37,777 3,149 1,575 1,453 727
4 45,510 3,793 1,897 1,751 876
5 53,243 4,437 2,219 2,048 1,024
6 60,976 5,082 2,541 2,346 1,173
7 68,709 5,726 2,863 2,643 1,322
8 76,442 6,371 3,186 2,941 1,471
For each additional household member add 7,733 645 323 298 149


  1. HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS homeless, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Oxbow High School.
  2. Do I need to fill out an application for each child? Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Dawn Burleson, Oxbow High School, 36 Oxbow Drive, Bradford, VT 05033.
  3. SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? No, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Dawn Burleson, Oxbow High School, 36 Oxbow Drive, Bradford, VT 05033; 802.222.5214 x 138;
  4. MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE?    Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year. If you do not send in a new application that is approved by the school or you have not been notified that your children is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged the full price for meals.
  5. I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals; a meal application is needed.  Please send in an application.
  6. Will the information I give be checked? We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.
  7. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  8. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Dawn Burleson, Oxbow High School, 36 Oxbow Drive, Bradford, VT 05033; 802.222.5214 x 138;
  9. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.
  10. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  11. WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.
  12. We are in the military. do we REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.
  13. WHAT IF THERE ISN’T ENOUGH SPACE ON THE APPLICATION FOR MY FAMILY? List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact Dawn Burleson, Oxbow High School, 36 Oxbow Drive, Bradford, VT 05033; 802.222.5214 x 138; to receive a second application.
  14. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for 3SquaresVTor other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-479-6151.

If you have other questions or need help, call 802.222.5214 x 138.


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,

color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.


Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

How to Apply for Free and Reduced Price School Meals


Please use these instructions to help you fill out the application for free or reduced price school meals. You only need to submit one application per household, even if your children attend more than one school in Union #30. The application must be filled out completely to certify your children for free or reduced price school meals.


Please follow these instructions in order! Each step of the instructions is the same as the steps on your application. If at any time you are not sure what to do next, please contact Dawn at Oxbow High School at 802.222.5214 x 138 or






Tell us how many infants, children, and school students live in your household.  They do NOT have to be related to you to be a part of your household.



  1. A) List each child’s name. For each child, print their first name, middle initial and last name. Use one line of the application for each child. When printing names, write one letter in each box, stop if you run out of space. If there are more children present than lines on the application, attach a second piece of paper with all required information for the additional children.


  1. B) List the school name and grade. Is the child a student? Mark ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ under the column titled “Student” to tell us which children attend school.


  1. C) Do you have any foster children? If any children listed are foster children, mark the “Foster Child” box next to the child’s name. Foster children who live with you may count as members of your household and should be listed on your application. If you are only applying for foster children, after completing STEP 1, skip to STEP 4 of the application and these instructions.


  1. D) Are any children homeless, migrant, or runaway? If you believe any child listed in this section may meet this description, please mark the “Homeless, Migrant, Runaway” box next to the child’s name and complete all steps of the application.





  • Circle ‘NO’ and skip to STEP 3 on these instructions and STEP 3 on your application.
  • Leave STEP 2 blank.


  • Circle ‘YES’ and provide a case number for3SquaresVT or Reach-Up. You only need to write one case number. If you participate in one of these programs and do not know your case number, contact: the Benefits Service Center at (800) 479-6151. You must provide a case number on your application if you circled “YES”.
  • Skip to STEP 4.





  1. Report all income earned by children. Refer to the chart titled “Sources of Income for Children” in these instructions and report the combined gross income for ALL children listed in Step 1 in your household in the box marked “Total Child Income.” Only count foster children’s income if you are applying for them together with the rest of your household. It is optional for the household to list foster children living with them as part of the household.


How to Apply for Free and Reduced Price School Meals (cont’d)



Sources of Income for Children
Sources of Child Income Example(s)
·          Earnings from work ·          A child has a job where they earn a salary or wages.
·          Social Security

o    Disability Payments

o    Survivor’s Benefits

·          A child is blind or disabled and receives Social Security benefits.

·          A parent is disabled, retired, or deceased, and their child receives social security benefits.

·          Income from persons outside the household ·          A friend or extended family member regularly gives a child spending money.
·          Income from any other source ·          A child receives income from a private pension fund, annuity, or trust.





  1. B) List Adult Household member’s name. Print the name of each household member in the boxes marked “Names of Adult Household Members (First and Last).” Do not list any household members you listed in STEP 1. If a child listed in STEP 1 has income, follow the instructions in STEP 3, part A.


  1. C) Report earnings from work. Refer to the chart titled “Sources of Income for Adults” in these instructions and report all income from work in the “Earnings from Work” field on the application. This is usually the money received from working at jobs. If you are a self-employed business or farm owner, you will report your net income.



  1. D) Report income from Public Assistance/Child Support/Alimony. Refer to the chart titled “Sources of Income for Adults” in these instructions and report all income that applies in the “Public Assistance/Child Support/Alimony” field on the application. Do not report the value of any cash value public assistance benefits NOT listed on the chart. If income is received from child support or alimony, only court-ordered payments should be reported here. Informal but regular payments should be reported as “other” income in the next part.

How to Apply for Free and Reduced Price School Meals (cont’d)


  1. E) Report income from Pensions/Retirement/All other income. Refer to the chart titled “Sources of Income for Adults” in these instructions and report all income that applies in the “Pensions/Retirement/All Other Income” field on the application.


  1. F) Report total household size. Enter the total number of household members in the field “Total Household Members (Children and Adults).” This number MUST be equal to the number of household members listed in STEP 1 and STEP 3. If there are any members of your household that you have not listed on the application, go back and add them. It is very important to list all household members, as the size of your household determines your income cutoff for free and reduced price meals.
  2. G) Provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number. The household’s primary wage earner or another adult household member must enter the last four digits of their Social Security Number in the space provided. You are eligible to apply for benefits even if you do not have a Social Security Number. If no adult household members have a Social Security Number, leave this space blank and mark the box to the right labeled “Check if no SS#.”
Sources of Income for Adults
Earnings from Work Public Assistance/Alimony/

Child Support

Pensions/Retirement/All Other Income
·          Salary, wages, cash bonuses

·          Net income from self-employment (farm or business)

·          Strike benefits


If you are in the U.S. Military:

·          Basic pay and cash bonuses (do NOT include combat pay, FSSA or privatized housing allowances)

·          Allowances for off-base housing, food, and clothing

·          Unemployment benefits

·          Worker’s compensation

·          Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

·          Cash assistance from State or local government

·          Alimony payments

·          Child support payments

·          Veteran’s benefits

·          Social Security (including railroad retirement and black lung benefits)

·          Private Pensions or disability

·          Income from trusts or estates

·          Annuities

·          Investment income

·          Earned interest

·          Rental income

·          Regular cash payments from outside household




All applications must be signed by an adult member of the household. By signing the application, that household member is promising that all information has been truthfully and completely reported. Before completing this section, please also make sure you have read the privacy and civil rights statements on the back of the application.

  1. A) Provide your contact information. Write your current address in the fields provided if this information is available. If you have no permanent address, this does not make your children ineligible for free or reduced price school meals. Sharing a phone number, email address, or both is optional, but helps us reach you quickly if we need to contact you.
  2. B) Sign and print your name. Print your name in the box “Printed name of adult completing the form.” And sign your name in the box “Signature of adult completing the form.”
  3. C) Write Today’s Date. In the space provided, write today’s date in the box.